In college, I lived with a girl that was an amazing cook! I remember coming home after class to wonderful smells wafting from our apartment. She would leave us little notes on the refrigerator reading, “extras in the fridge!”
To a college student, especially after hours, this was a welcome and much appreciated invitation;)
While everything she cooked me and my other roommate was delicious, my FAVORITE was her chicken enchiladas!
What makes these enchiladas so unique, is that they are made with cream cheese!
Over the years I have made this recipe my own, changing a few ingredients to suit my family’s tastes. It’s super easy to put together and the chicken and filling can be made ahead of time!
•1 15 Ounce Cans Hatch brand Green Chili Enchilada sauce
•1 15 ounce can Hatch brand Red Enchilada sauce
•1 4 ounce can Hatch green chilies, slightly drained
•1/2 cup Salsa
•1 8 ounce package plain cream cheese, softened and cubed
•3 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken **Easy tip: shred a pre-cooked store bought roasted chicken, skinned and boned**
•1/2 teaspoon each, onion powder and garlic powder
•salt and pepper to taste
•3 Cups Shredded Monterey-Jack cheese
•6-8 Large flour Tortillas
•Toppings of choice: diced black olives, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, jalapeños, sour cream, salsa, fresh avocado.
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
2. In a Large skillet over medium heat, stir together softened cream cheese, 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, shredded chicken, salsa and green chilies. Stir until well incorporated and cheeses are melted in a thick mixture. Season with garlic and onion powders, cumin and salt and pepper.
3. Pour half of the green chili enchilada sauce on bottom of a 9×13 inch casserole dish.
4. Spoon heaping Tablespoons of cream cheese mixture in middle of each tortilla and roll up. Lay filled tortillas in prepared casserole dish.
5. Pour the test of the green chili enchilada sauce over the tip of half of the enchiladas. Pour the Ted enchilada sauce over the other half.
6. Evenly layer top of enchiladas with 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese.
7. Bake in pre-heated oven at 350 for 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese and melted and bubbly.
Serve with toppings of choice alongside Spanish rice and beans;)
Do you have a favorite dish from your college days?